The Boeing Company selected Global Performance as its Project Management/Construction Management provider for its $1 Billion expansion program in South Carolina. The purpose of the program is to bring final assembly and related operations for the 787 Dreamliner to South Carolina, and the program represents the largest private capital investment in the history of the state.
Global Performance is providing a full service solution, with roles including safety, cost, schedule, quality, design coordination, change management, program and project level reporting, coordination with government entities and utilities for infrastructure improvements, commissioning/ start-up, and turnover.
The program consists of more than 12 projects on three sites and is being executing on an aggressive, fast-track basis. Project highlights include the following:
• Final assembly building for 787 production. 1000’ x 615’ x 120’ structure with 465 foot clear span in the manufacturing bay. Total square footage of the assembly building exceeds 1.1 million.
• Delivery Center, where customers take delivery of their airplanes. High end architectural structure with two jetways.
• Welcome Center. High end architectural facility which contains conference space, retail space, security and related functions.
• Major central utility building expansion.
• Flight line, where final testing of airplanes occurs.
• Equipment maintenance and repair facility, truck inspection facility and training facility.
• Site development, including utility upgrades and relocation of public roadways.
• Extensive coordination with third parties, including FAA, Charleston Airport Authority, U.S. Air Force, City of North Charleston and utility companies.
• Construction of the new facilities and site infrastructure while maintaining ongoing production operations at two existing manufaturing facilities on site.
• Greenfield, 250,000 square foot manufacturing and assembly facility for interiors components of the 787.
To date, the program has achieved more than 6 million work hours and zero lost time incidents.